Canesten Thrush Cream
- Effective thrush treatment cream
- Contains clotrimazole 2%
- Twice daily application
NOTE: After requesting this medication, you will need to complete a short assessment, so our GP or Pharmacist can assess if the treatment is suitable for you. Pricing is provided as a reference only. The final decision on issuing this medication remains with our GP / Pharmacist.
Canesten Thrush Cream
You can buy Canesten Thrush Cream online from our registered UK online pharmacy. Please read the associated information about this medication to make sure it's safe for you. You can then place your order. After completing any associated assessment form, our pharmacists can then review your order and, if approved, dispatch to your chosen address. If for any reason your order is not approved, a full refund is issued.
About Canesten Thrush Cream
Canesten Thrush Cream is used to treat genital thrush in women aged between 16 and 60 years old.
Canesten Thrush Cream is an external antifungal cream which contains the active ingredient Clotrimazole 2% w/w and is useful in soothing and relieving the symptoms of thrush. Clotrimazole belongs to the group of medicines called imidazoles and works by killing the fungus responsible for causing thrush. Canesten Thrush External Cream is used to treat the itching and soreness of the vulva.
Canesten should be applied twice daily around the entrance of the vagina.
You should continue using Canesten Cream for a day or two after symptoms disappear. This is to make sure that all the fungus has been killed.
If symptoms persist beyond 7 days, you should speak to your GP.
Thrush vs Cystitis
Individuals usually tend to confuse their diagnosis of thrush (fungal vaginal infection) and cystitis (bacterial vaginal infection) as both conditions can have the same symptom of pain or discomfort during urination. However, the main symptom to distinguish between the two conditions is that cystitis usually does not have discharge.
If you are unsure about which of the two conditions you are suffering from then you seek advice from a healthcare professional.
Canesten Thrush Cream is a widely used and effective thrush treatment however every patient can respond differently to medication. If you find Canesten Thrush Cream is not effective for you, you may want to try Canesten Oral Capsule or another alternative.
- Avoid wearing tight-fitting trousers or tights, as fungal infections are mostly caused by warm, moist environments.
- Loose fitting, cotton underwear allows the skin to breathe more.
- Ironing or tumble-drying the underwear may also kill any residual fungal spores.
Other treatments for thrush are available at Simple Online pharmacy. These include;
Canesten Thrush Cream Reviews
After using any treatment, it's helpful to let others know about your experience. Reviews of an item help other users know that medicines received are genuine, how well the treatment worked or any issues to be aware of. We invite our users to leave a review of both their treatment and of the service provided. Click on the reviews tab to see if there has been feedback on this item.
What is Canesten Thrush Cream?
Canesten Thrush Cream is an anti-fungal cream, used in the treatment of genital thrush.
What are the ingredients of Canesten Thrush Cream?
The main ingredient of Canesten Thrush cream is Clotrimazole 2%.
The other ingredients found in Canesten Thrush are Benzyl alcohol, Polysorbate 60, sorbitan stearate, cetyl palmitate, Cetostearyl alcohol, Octyldodecanol, and purified water.
How does Canesten Thrush Cream work?
The cream works by killing off the Candida albicans fungi that are responsible for the thrush infection.
How do I use Canesten Thrush Cream?
Canesten Thrush Cream should be applied two to three times daily. You should apply the cream thinly to the vulva and surrounding area, before washing excess from your hands.
Can I use Canesten Thrush Cream when pregnant/breastfeeding?
Thrush cream should only be used in pregnancy or breastfeeding on your doctor's advice.
Is Canesten Thrush cream suitable for me?
Canesten thrush cream is suitable for individuals aged between 16 and 60 years of age, who are suffering from external thrush. The cream should not be used if you are allergic to clotrimazole or any of the other ingredients within the cream.
How often can I use Canesten External Thrush Cream?
The cream should be applied to the affected area around the vagina 2 to 3 times daily. The cream should be applied thinly and spread evenly before applying gently and should not be used for longer than 7 days.
For male patients, the cream should be applied to the tip of the penis 2 to 3 times daily and for no longer than 14 days.
Side Effects of Canesten Thrush Cream
Like all medicines, Canesten Thrush Cream can cause side effects, however, not everyone gets them. It is important to read the patient information leaflet before starting any new medications.
Side effects of Canesten Thrush Cream can include:
- Vaginal Irritation and a burning sensation
- A rash
- Breathing problems
- Trouble swallowing
- Feeling sick
If you are concerned about the side effects or if you suffer in any other way from the medication it is recommended that you speak to your GP.
Before taking any medication, it is important to read the Patient Information Leaflet. You can find information leaflets for your medicines by typing them into the search bar at medicines.org, or by contacting us.
Directions for Canesten Thrush Cream
- Before using the Canesten Thrush Cream, ensure that you wash your hands thoroughly.
- Apply a thin layer of Canesten Thrush Cream to the affected area around the vagina (the vulva and the surrounding areas) 2 to 3 times daily.
- Ensure you wash any excess cream from your hands after using the cream.
- The cream should be applied thinly and spread evenly before applying gently and should not be used for longer than 7 days.
- For male patients, the cream should be applied to the tip of the penis 2 to 3 times daily and for no longer than 14 days.
Warnings for Canesten Thrush Cream
Canesten Thrush Cream should NOT be used if the user:
- is allergic (hypersensitive) to Clotrimazole or any of the other ingredients, including cetostearyl alcohol, of Canesten Thrush External Cream
- Is aged under 16 or over 60
- Has had more than 2 infections of thrush in the last 6 months
- Is pregnant, trying to conceive or breastfeeding
- Has (or their partner) has a sexually transmitted disease
- Is diabetic or undergoing investigations for diabetes
- Has irregular vaginal bleeding
- Has abnormal vaginal bleeding or a blood-stained discharge.
- Has ulcers, blisters or sores of the vagina or vulva.
- Has lower abdominal pain.
- Has pain or difficulty in passing urine.
- Has fever or chills.
- Is feeling sick, vomiting or has diarrhoea.
- A foul-smelling discharge from the vagina
Canesten Thrush Cream may reduce the effectiveness of rubber contraceptives, such as condoms or diaphragms. Consequently, you should use alternative precautions for at least five days after using this product.
Ingredients in Canesten Thrush Cream
Active ingredient: Clotrimazole 2%.
Other Ingredients: Benzyl alcohol, Polysorbate 60, sorbitan stearate, cetyl palmitate, Cetostearyl alcohol, Octyldodecanol, and purified water.
Order within for guaranteed next day delivery options