Ovex Tablets 100mg
- A single tablet treatment for Threadworm
- Not suitable for pregnant women
- Ovex Suspension available
NOTE: After selecting this product, you will need to complete a short assessment, so we can make sure this medication is suitable for you.
Buy Ovex Tablets 100mg Online
You can buy Ovex Tablets online from our registered UK online pharmacy. Please read the associated information about this medication to make sure it's safe for you. You can then place your order. After completing any associated assessment form, our pharmacists can then review your order and, if approved, dispatch to your chosen address. If for any reason your order is not approved, a full refund is issued.
About Ovex Tablets
Ovex is a commonly used treatment for threadworm (sometimes known as pinworm) infections of the gut and can be used by adults and children over the age of 2 years old. The active ingredient of Ovex is mebendazole, which belongs to a group of medicines called ‘anthelmintics’. Ovex Tablets are a single dose treatment, which is useful if treating young children or adults who find it hard to be compliant with taking medication.
What are threadworms?
Threadworms are white, small ‘thread-like’ worms, which can be 2 to 13 mm in length and can be seen on faeces or around the anal area. Threadworms can live up to 6 weeks and live in the upper colon area. The female threadworms lay many eggs at night along with an irritant mucus, causing excessive itching, therefore, provoking the individual to scratch. (Eggs are laid on the outside of the anus and for females, they are laid on the vagina and urethra area)
Re-infection can occur and is caused by the eggs being consumed due to contaminated hands. Good hygiene is essential to prevent re-infection of threadworms and this can be done by following the practical tips advised for about 6 weeks.
- To avoid shedding eggs, wear close-fitting pyjama bottoms or pants at night.
- Have a shower/bath first thing in the morning and ensure that the anal area is washed thoroughly.
- Keep fingernails cut short
- Ensure good hand hygiene (washing hands thoroughly after using the toilet, before preparing food and before eating food)
- Eggs can stay viable for up to 14 days so wash bedding and towels daily if possible (try not to shake the bedding/towels as this will spread the eggs)
- Vacuum and wipe surfaces daily.
Other treatments for threadworms are available at Simple Online Pharmacy. These include:
After using any treatment, it's helpful to let others know about your experience. Reviews of an item help other users know that medicines received are genuine, how well the treatment worked or any issues to be aware of. We invite our users to leave a review of both their treatment and of the service provided. Click on the reviews tab to see if there has been feedback on this item.
How long it does it take for Ovex to work?
After taking Ovex, the threadworms will start to die. However, this does not mean they will die immediately after taking the tablet and it is possible that symptoms will persist for a couple of days after treatment is taken.
Can I take Ovex if I am pregnant or breastfeeding?
You cannot take Ovex if you are pregnant and if you are breastfeeding and require Ovex treatment then we recommend you seek advice from your doctor or a pharmacist. Good hygiene practice is highly recommended and even more so if you are unable to take Ovex.
Can I crush Ovex Tablets?
Yes. Ovex tablets can be crushed or chewed if needed.
What should I do if I get re-infected?
You should seek medical advice from a healthcare professional. You may be advised by a pharmacist to take a second a dose after 2 weeks.
Side Effects of Ovex Tablets
Like all medicines, Ovex can cause side-effects, but not everyone gets them.
Stop using Ovex and seek immediate medical help if you experience any of the following rare side effects(these can affect up to 1 in 1,000 individuals):
- Convulsions (can be seizures or fits).
- Allergic reactions (this can include any unexplained wheezing, shortness of breath, sudden facial or throat swelling, and hives (often referred to as ‘nettle rash’ or ‘urticaria’).
- Skin rashes (can be severe and include blistering/peeling of the skin) and itching, and high temperature may also be present.
Stop using the medicine and talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you experience the following common side effect (this can affect up to 1 in 10 individuals):
- Stomach pain
Uncommon side effects (this can affect up to 1 in 100 individuals) include:
- Discomfort of stomach
Rare side effects (this can affect up to 1 in 1,000 individuals) include:
- Liver inflammation/unusual liver function
- Reduced white blood cells (this reduces the body’s defence system against infections)
- Abnormal hair loss
Very rare side effects (this can affect up to 1 in 10,000 individuals) include:
- Inflammation of the kidneys (this is seen when higher doses of Ovex is taken and with prolonged use of Ovex.)
Before taking any medication, it is important to read the Patient Information Leaflet. You can find information leaflets for your medicines by typing them into the search bar at medicines.org, or by contacting us.
Directions for use
- Ovex is a single dose tablet and is only for oral use.
- The tablet can either be swallowed whole or chewed. (If you are giving the tablet to a child it is best to crush the tablet)
- Supervision should always be carried out if a child is taking medication.
- For adults and children over 2 years old- Take ONE tablet (for each family member).
- Speak to a doctor if the symptoms have not cleared within a few days
- If re-infection occurs then seek medical advice from a healthcare professional. (your pharmacist may recommend that a second tablet is taken after two weeks.)
If more than one Ovex tablet is taken by any individual, they must seek medical advice from their doctor or they should visit their closest Accident & Emergency department (Casualty) as soon as they can, and should take the patient information leaflet in the packaging with them.
Warnings for Ovex Tablets
- You should always speak to your doctor or a pharmacist before taking a new medicine if you are taking any other medication, particularly:
- Metronidazole (used to treat certain infections)
- Cimetidine (used to treat excess stomach acidity).
- Do not take Ovex if you are pregnant.
- If you are breastfeeding, ask a healthcare professional for advice before taking Ovex.
- Orange Yellow S (E110) (an ingredient in Ovex tablets) can possibly cause allergic reactions, so ensure that you are aware of signs of an allergic reaction.
Special warnings about this medicine
As threadworms can be passed on to others very easily, all family members (excluding pregnant, breastfeeding women or children under the age of 2 years old) should be treated and in order to prevent re-infection, everyone should ensure suitable hygiene precautions.
Ingredients in Ovex Tablets
Active ingredient: Mebendazole 100 mg in each Ovex tablet.
Other ingredients: Microcrystalline cellulose, sodium starch glycollate, talc, maize starch, sodium saccharin, magnesium stearate, cottonseed oil – hydrogenated, orange flavour, colloidal anhydrous silica, sodium lauryl sulfate, orange-yellow S (E110).
Order on Monday to Friday until 3:30pm guarantees next day delivery options