- Used in prevention / treatment of altitude sickness
- Will not relieve all symptoms, other steps required
- Generic of Diamox
NOTE: After requesting this medication, you will need to complete a short assessment, so our GP or Pharmacist can assess if the treatment is suitable for you. Pricing is provided as a reference only. The final decision on issuing this medication remains with our GP / Pharmacist.
Acetazolamide 250mg online
You can request to buy acetazolamide, which is the generic version of Diamox, online. Acetazolamide is used in the prevention and the treatment of acute altitude sickness. After completing an online assessment, our doctor will review your order and make sure the medication is suitable for you. If approved, a prescription will be passed to our pharmacy to dispense and dispatch to your chosen delivery address.
What is Diamox?
Diamox is a medication used in the prevention and treatment of acute altitude sickness.
What is the ingredient in Diamox?
The active ingredient in Diamox is acetazolamide 250mg.
How do I reduce the symptoms of altitude sickness?
If you think you have altitude sickness, you should take the following actions;
- stop and rest where you are
- don't go any higher for at least 24-48 hours
- drink plenty of water
- avoid alcohol or smoking
- avoid exercising
- if you have a headache, take ibuprofen or paracetamol
- if you feel sick, take an anti-sickness medication, such as promethazine / phenergan
What medications prevent altitude sickness?
Acetazolamide is the medication most commonly prescribed in the prevention and treatment of altitude sickness
How do I take Diamox / Acetazolamide to prevent altitude sickness?
The dosage is usually one tablet 1 to 4 times daily.
To prevent altitude sickness
- Start taking acetazolamide 1 to 2 days before your climb.
- Continue taking it while you are climbing and for at least 48 hours after you have reached your final altitude.
- To control your symptoms, you may need to continue the medication if staying at the high altitude
Acetazolamide may be taken with or without food.
You shuold drink plenty of fluids unless otherwise directed by your doctor.
How does Diamox work?
Acetazolamide is a diuretic (water pill), however the actual mechanisms by which acetazolamide reduces symptoms of altitude sickess remain unclear. Several factors are thought to affect how Diamox works, including
- metabolic acidosis resulting from renal CA inhibition
- improvements in ventilation from tissue respiratory acidosis
- improvements in sleep quality from carotid body CA inhibition
- effects of diuresis.
Side Effects of Acetazolamide
- feeling or being sick
- loss of appetite / thirstor / metallic taste in the mouth
- dizziness, loss of full control of arms or legs
- looking flushed
- need to pass urine more often than normal
- tiredness / irritability
- feeling over-excited
- a tingling or numbness in the fingers or toes, or coldness in the extremities.
Please read the patient information leafelet for a full list of side effects.
Before buying or taking any medication – it is important you read the Patient Information Leaflet (PIL)
Order on Monday to Friday until 3:30pm guarantees next day delivery options